birds

I don't know when you are hiking, but when I thru-hiked, I saw and
heard a lot of birds.  There are warblers galore, thrushes, finches,
goldfinches, turkeys, woodpeckers, juncos, sparrows (the white
throated sparrow is especially distinctive), vireos, etc.  There were
times I would stop walking to listen to an especially beautiful song,
and others were just unusual (like the one that sounded like a
submarine whistle).  I didn't see all that many birds except the
bright ones (tanagers, goldfinches and the like), but their song was
all around.  Of course, I hiked alone a lot so there were no voices
to scare them off, and I often hiked early.

  Hikers who use headphones are very unlikely to see much game.  (ie. in 1988 I saw
four bears and a moose on the AT, my friend, hiking within a day of me, saw
none).  The difference is, I heard the noise they made running away,
and looked up.  He was immersed in his music. I would rather hear the
sounds of the woods than a DJ from the city, anytime.  So I don't
bother with a radio.  The result is, nature is much closer.
Ginny Frost