Re: Where are the birds?

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996 BruceBaird@aol.com wrote:

> I live in a suburban area of Houston, TX and on any day of the year I can
> walk out in my yard or walk along the streets and see and/or hear
> mockingbirds, blue jays, doves, sparrows, grackles, and an occasional
> cardinal and woodpecker.  On my three long-distant hikes on the AT covering
> from Springer to Hot Springs and the Maine Wilderness I have noticed  that
> either the AT's bird population density is much less than my local
> neighborhood or the birds don't sing.  Does anyone know the reason for this?
Well, I'm a college student here in Houston and my roommate is currently
doing biology research on birds here.  I am not the expert -- he is sort
of -- but here's my short interpretation.  It's not that the AT has a
shortage of birds; it's that Houston has an abundance -- especially this
time of year.  After the birds fly all of the way across the Gulf of
Mexico without stopping they are ready for a layover day or two or
three.

Again, I'm the computer science major in the room, so I cannot speculate
further.

|Dan Grossman       danieljg@rice.edu     "My opinions are always my own|
|6360 S. Main       Sid Room 602	     and are never shared by as |
|Houston, TX 77005  ROOM!                    many people as I wish."    |
|danieljg@rice.edu  (713) 630-8678  	     SRRDFAFTSNMPWETSUBOHICA    |