Where are the birds?

I live in a suburban area of Houston, TX and on any day of the year I can
walk out in my yard or walk along the streets and see and/or hear
mockingbirds, blue jays, doves, sparrows, grackles, and an occasional
cardinal and woodpecker.  On my three long-distant hikes on the AT covering
from Springer to Hot Springs and the Maine Wilderness I have noticed  that
either the AT's bird population density is much less than my local
neighborhood or the birds don't sing.  Does anyone know the reason for this?

Hood Ornament