Re: my trip

>people have been writing about the overuse of the trail. i wouldn't know,
>since i ahve yet to thru-hike (but i will!). but what i want to know
>is if the appalachian trail still is something special and that is
>why people use it so much or is it a fad? maybe it depends on what people
>expect
>from hiking the trail.
>when i leave for the trail in mid-april, i expect some things from the
>trail and
>my trip. i want to take a nice, long walk in the woods. see beautiful wild-
>flowers, birds, porcupines, maybe a nice bear. get wet with rain. climb
>mountains. find a waterfall. meet nice people. be myself while i am wandering
>in the woods. get lost. eat wild blackberries. laugh. have adventures.
>have good
>memories of my trip. is that a lot to expect?

Christeena -

The AT is VERY special to a lot of us.   And overuse is a concern to some of
us - but it's not something you need to worry a lot about during a thruhike.

It's nice to keep in mind that what your class does out there will affect
future hikers - but don't let that become a major factor in your hike.
On the other hand, if someone's doing something stupid, insensitive or
ignorant,  don't be afraid to let them know it.  Ginny did that to a kid in
the Whites when he decided it would be a good idea to hike off the path - he
was trampling all over sensitive alpine vegetation and there was no
reason or excuse for that.   Don't try to be an AT policewoman - nobody
appreciates that - but when you see something like that - remember, it's
YOUR world they're destroying, too.  And if they're ignorant - maybe you
can enlighten them - gently.

For the most part, though, just do your part as a No Trace hiker and enjoy
your hike. All the things you want are out there - even the "nice" bears
(they're the ones who don't have your food).  Go find them.

Walk lightly,
Jim Owen