Vasque Alphas?

  Howdy all! Just a quick question before I leave work for the night -
- well, OK, I have another two hours here, but this'll be the last
chance to post anything before tomorrow.
   My brother is looking to buy a new pair of boots, and he saw the
Vasque Alpha Leather (last year's model) on sale from Campmor for $29.
99, marked down from something like $80. He doesn't need super-heavy-
duty waffle stompers, just good boots for dayhikes and some LIGHT
backpacking -- no long-distance hiking for him.
   So, what's the verdict on the Alpha Leather? Worth 30 bucks?

Thanks in advance,
Joe