Re: Beef

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996 drichff@nando.net wrote:

> I like to eat beef tips and rice and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to
> dehydrate the beef so that I can cook beef tips on rice while on the trail.
> Also once I dehydrate the beef what is the best way to put the water back so
> that it's just as good on the trail?

Dwayne,
	Don't know so much about the dehydrating part (I'm still playing
with mine dehydrator) but I've got the rehydrating down pat....What I do,
esp. when I winter hike, is at breakfast time, I put supper's food in a
wide-mouth nalgene bottle & pour boiling water over it. wipe off the
bottle, cap tightly, and nestle it in the center of my down jacket & put
into the center of the pack. That way it slow cooks all the way down the
trail & often I still had a warm supper already done when I came into
camp. During warmer weather you could add water when you're an hour or so
away from camp. One downside is that when I came into Monson, Me, I
forgot about the beef stroganoff cooking in my sleeping bag until 2 days
later.....after several washings of my 20 below bag to rid itself of the
fermented bs (hmm, never noticed that acronym), my bag has become a
3season bag.......Pat