introduction

Howdy!  My name is Jonny Pearson and I've been lurking on the list for
about three weeks now.  Although I have to admit I'd never want to
thru-hike the AT myself (and I do respect those who have done it!), I'm a
big fan of the trail.  I'm originally from Alexandria, VA and have hiked
sections of the AT through Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland.  I
found out about the list from Andy Burchett who, as you know, just left
California to do a thru-hike.  He hired me to my current position at the
Office of Academic Computing at UC Irvine about a month ago.  I have to
say he was very excited and talked about the trip constantly.

Stuck here in California, the AT seemed so far away until I started
lurking on this mailing list.  I appreciate all the stories and
experiences that you all have related. They remind me of the beauty of
the East Coast and the humble respect that I've always had for the
Appalachian Mountains.

--Jonny

    Jonny Pearson
    Student Consultant