Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 20:43:54 -0500
From: JMSCHROER@aol.com
To: kathy@fred.net
Subject: AT Guestbook

Hiked Springer today... 12 years to the date since I started my journey up
the path. Today was beautiful, sunny, 50's and looked very promising, unlike
the seven days of rain that kicked my .... journey off.  Alas... this visit
to the sacred ground was only a day hike, but I was in northern Georgia and
couldn't resist the pull of the trail. I was surprised at the number of
thru-hikers already on the trail. Back then I was one of the first ten. Today
there had already been ten that morning, and many had left in Jan. and Feb.
Is this a trend to escape the masses?  It was admittedly nostalgic and
refreshing to kick back at the shelter and babble to the expectant few. What
a variety... two(2) of the Bluegrass Boys, the elder and the younger. At age
79 he is on his second trip up the trail with his grandson. (The first time
was at age 70). I was amazed, his love for the the mountains and thourough
understanding of the physical and mental journey ahead. Three (3) mature
women as partners (all in 60's) planning a thru. Several youngsters and a
young couple. Some of these hikers seemed to have no clue what they were in
for. It was almost painful to think of the trials ahead for them. My only
words of wisdom were to chose their own path, and follow it at their own
pace. Once you begin,  its a trail you can truly wander your whole lifetime.
I wish them safety and fulfillment. Well enough for today...and what a great
day... any day on the Trail is better than not.  Thanks for maintaining the
Guest Log. See ya later on down... (JMSchroer@aol.com)