So much for this year!

   Well, it is with great, great, GREAT sadness that I report the
postponement of my thru-hike. I was well on the way to leaving around
April 8, but financial reality has come up and bit me on the ass, so
to speak. Looks like I'm going to have to console myself with the
knowledge that now I have until this time next year to plan.
   I'm planning a multi-day trip to the Big South Fork in March. My
brothers and I will be hiking a few trails there, among them the
Kentucky Trail. I guess I'll just have to make do with the weekend
and weeklong trips until '97.
   I am REALLY depressed about this situation. I was so psyched about
doing the AT this year -- and something completely unrelated to
hiking stopped me. It wasn't the weather, or my resolve, or my feet,
or my gear. It was money. Come to think of it, I guess money ISN'T
really unrelated to hiking and the outdoors, although I'd like to
think it is.
   I'm sorry if I sound like I'm whining -- I really don't mean to --
but it sucks to be this close to a dream only to wake up, at least
until next spring.

One bummed Kentuckian stuck in Atlanta,
Joe