Re: dehydrating food

Some of the older hands have seen these before but here they are for
what they ar worth.

I bought an inexpensive dehydrator some time ago and dry my own
vegetable and fruits, except for those I find readily available at a
good price-- i.e. onions, mushrooms, raisins, etc.  I have lots of fun
with trail mixes and one-pot meals.

I use a lot of lentils (or split pea) and rice based concoctions.
Lentils and split peas have an advantage over most beans as they do not
require soaking and they cook in a relatively short time.  Lentils come
in white, yellow, red, and black as well as the traditional
grayish-green.  So, you can give yourself some eye relief.  Split peas
also come in green and yellow.

If you want to use other beans, I find home-dried pre-cooked will cook
up in the woods faster than regular dried beans.

Typical concoctions:

Curried Chicken Tracks

1/3 C   Rice
1/4 C   Lentils (red look nice)
1/4 C   Raisins (for this mix I use golden)
1       Dried plum tomato cut in raisin size pieces
1 T.    Almond slices
1 T.    Chicken bouillon granules
1 t.    Curry powder

For best flavor add mix to 2 C boiling fresh spring water deep in the
woods.  Simmer until tender.

Chili (sort of)

1/3 C   Rice
1/4 C   Lentils
3       Dried plum tomato cut in quarters
1 T.    Dried onion pieces
1 T.    Beef bouillon granules
1 t.    Chili powder (or more to taste)

For best flavor add mix to 2 C boiling fresh spring water deep in the
woods.  Simmer until tender.  (Note -- You can get tomato powder in
some parts of the country and from some mail order houses.  It makes a
nice additio
n to this mix.)

Mushroom and Parmesan Risotto

1/3 C   Rice
1/3 C   Dried mushrooms
1/3 C   Dried onion pieces
1/3 C   Dried apples
1 T     Vegetable bouillon granules
1/4 t   Dried chives
and
1 t     graded Parmesan cheese in a separate plastic twist

For best flavor add all except cheese to 2 C boiling fresh spring water
deep in the woods.  Simmer until tender.  Add cheese.

Imitation Black Beans and rice

1/3 C   Brown Rice
1/3 C   Lentils (black)
2       Dried plum tomato cut in quarters
1 T.    Dried green bell pepper
1 T.    Dried onion pieces
1 T.    Beef bouillon granules
2 t.    Dried carrots
1 t.    Orange crystals (Tang in a pinch)
2 dash  Paprika
1 dash  Ground coriander
1 dash  Crushed red pepper (to taste)
1 dash  Garlic granules

For best flavor add mix to 2 C boiling fresh spring water deep in the
woods.  Simmer until tender.

Lentils and Rice

1/3 C   Rice
1/4 C   Lentils
3       Dried plum tomato cut in quarters
2 T.    Shredded coconut
1 T.    Dried onion pieces
1 T.    Vegetable bouillon granules
2 dash  Garlic granules