re: protein shakes

Many of the "muscle head" weight gainer powders are very good for packing on
the trail. There is no cooking, and no water weight in the drink mix. My
personal favorite is Champion Nutrition Heaveyweight Gainer 900. Because
they include a kind of fat in the mix (called Medium Chain Triglycerides)
the caloric density of this powder is higher than most others without fat
(9cal/g for fat vs. 4cal/g for carbos&protien) This drink is also fortified
with all the vitimans you will probably want. A 7# tub of this stuff lists
for around $41 but it can be found at discounters for around $30. If you
can't find one near you, try asking 800 information for "Vitiman
Wholesalers", a discount mail order store.

One powder I like is maltodextrin foritfied kool-aid. I mix up the regular
flavored kool-aid powder with sugar, and then add enough extra maltodextrin
to bring the mix ratio to 250g(about 9 oz) drink mix/liter of water. This
makes a 1 liter bottle contain 1000Cal of pure carbohydrate. Maltodextrin is
corn starch that has been cut up into shorter pieces so it will disolve
better, but is has no flavor so you can add more without making the drink
too sweet. It can be found in lots of foods as "glucose polymers"& "modified
corn starch." It is available from home beer brewing stores.

I was reading a post where it was suggested that butter should be replaced
with light weight "butter buds." If all you want is the flavor without the
calories, then this is ok, but the goal for trail food is MORE calories.
Butter is pure fat, and is the densest calorie source there is!

Brick Robbins                  "go fast enough to get there,
San Diego, CA                   but slow enough to see"
brick@ix.netcom.com             ---Jimmy Buffett

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/brick_robbins