Re: Bear Bags??

>I was wondering what people did with their food and other "smellables" at
>night.  Other places where I go I put it all in a bag and tie a rope to
>one end and throw it over a tree limb.  What is the prefered method along
>the AT?
>mark neubauer

  Check my massive packlist... I use an large mesh bag to hold my food
bags... On the AT I hung the food in trees or on bear poles, when I felt it
was necessary... Mostly food is hung in shelters from "specially designed"
mouse proof (?) hangers... Remember when using the shelter hangers, the
resident rodents have learned from trial and error, and are very agile (can
leap tall buildings, or from rafters to food bags and packs)... To help
prevent these tremendous leaps, try not to leave a big landing area on your
food bag... My
food bag has a nylon taffeta upper 1/3 with a lower mesh; don't remember
where I got it (Army Surplus.??).

  good hiking,

Dick Wix
  aka
   "WIXeR"   AT-94  GA>ME

" I'll get there,,,, when I get there.!!"       obscure