Re: Giardia cysts settling ??

>Bob,
>Is there a chance you could send me a reprint of your Giardia article.
>Again let me stress I am by no means any sort of expert on disease or
>hydrology for that matter. And I certainly do not want to give the
>impression that Giardasis is not a problem. JoAnne Oliver's reference to
>the Berlin NH water problem actually sounds familiar, but I did not make
>the assumption that midlevel water from lakes was therefore safe to drink
>after hearing about it. I distinctly remember reading it somewhere else as
>well, maybe a NOLS handbook? At any rate I, like many in Maine, drink water
>right out of most sources without treatment or filtering, and seem to
>suffer no ill effect. In fact most people who own camps receive their water
>right from lakes. I know the water in the rangers cabin at Daicy comes from
>the pond. I also know that recent federal regulations have caused most of
>the familiar water sources in Baxter to be removed. I know that these
>sources were probably ok but the cost of monitoring them was prohibitive so
>it was easier to just remove them. Although I do often wonder about being
>infected, especially with all the bad press one reads about even from the
>MATC.  I have been in the 100 mile wilderness innumerable times and slake
>my thirst at will. I recently returned from a five day trip in Baxter on
>the other side of Katahdin and all four of us drank water right out of the
>lake (this time from ice free outlets). I don't know what to make of it. Go
>figger? Best of luck, Cap

Cap -

You're obviously welcome to drink straight out the Maine ponds if you
like - but I spent a couple nights listening to the moose feeding and
playing in some of those ponds.   And when they feed it's a continuous
process - and there's another end to that process.   Personally, I prefer
my moose piss to be iodine flavored with Rock-a-Dile Red overtones.
Have fun.

Jim Owen