Re: Thru-Hike Preparation Question

At 06:42 PM 2/13/96 -0600, Andy Burchett wrote:

>Just a few last minute questions for ya all before I leave in 14 days :)
>
>This concerns food.  Do most thru hikers use butter in their cooking and
>such?  If so, what kind of butter is best and how long does it last
>unrefridgerated?  What is the best storage of it?  It might me a stupid
>question but it would be stupider not to know and not ask...
>
>Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful responses on my previous
>questions - you have all provided a lot of excellent and timely info in
>my preparation for my 96 thru hike...
>
>Countdown : 14 Days !!!!!AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
>
>One By Land

First and foremost, hope you have a great hike!   In regards to using
butter, it tends to go rancid when exposed to warm temperatures.  The two
ways of getting around this is by using either margarine or using clarified
butter.  The clarified butter will last a bit longer than the standard
butter.  The difference is it doesn't contain the milkfat solids.

To clarify butter, melt it in a small saucepan and pour of the top yellow
layer and let it cool.  Don't heat to boiling or else, nasty tasting!
Just package and enjoy.

          Have a great hike,

                       Ronin