Re: which direction?

Sorry, Jim, gotta agree with Tellydude. Done it twice and I've come to view
the Mahoosucs, which cross the NH line into SW Maine, as the hardest unit on
the whole AT. Further, this past summer I came to believe that, within that
area, the miles between Gentian Pond and Old Speck as the toughest, mile for
mile, on the AT. That includes that delightful gem, Mahoosuc Notch, the
acknowledged toughest single mile (1.1) on the whole trail. Just one guy's
opinion, FWIW.  Bob