Re: which direction?

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Matt Donath wrote:

> >From Andy C. Smith '97
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > What are the advantages of hiking from GA -> ME ?
> >

> Actually, I was initially planning on going S-N, as it is the more usual
> way.  However, the N-S is starting to look more attractive.  If you
> left end of May, early June in ME, that would mean ending up in
> November.  Seems like southern November weather should be more reliably
> good than southern March/April weather.  Is this true?

What about the length of the day? N->S, you're leaving at the summer
solstice - longest days of the year - and going approx. six months to the
Winter solstice. Daylight hours decrease from approx. 15 hr. to 9 hr.

S->N, you're leaving around the Spring equinox, equal day and night, and
finishing up at the Fall equinox. In between, the days are all longer
than 12 hrs.

Going toward the south, by November you'd be wishing you had more
daylight.