Re: which direction?

Andy asked:

> What are the advantages of hiking from GA -> ME ?
>
> What would I miss in going the other direction?
>
> A friend and I are planning to thru-hike after we graduate in May of
> next year.  If we were to go immediately after graduation, that would
> mean leaving from Maine and walking south.  If it would be much better to
> walk the way most people do (north), we would wait until the next season
> when we could go in March.

I haven't done the AT, but living in Vermont I have a done the Long Trail
often. The problems you would face:

1.) Prime black fly season
2.) Most of the trail would still be pretty muddy, especially at higher
elevations.
3.) The hardest part of the trail is ME & NH, when you aren't in trail shape
yet.
4.) The ferry I don't believe is running at that time of year???

Tellydude