Re: Sleeping Bags

>For the '96 thruhikers and those planning other trips, I would like to know
>the fill material of the sleeping bags you will be using. Especially, due to
>the weight considerations and the extreme and varied weather conditions, wet
>and cold to hot and dry, what do you think will work best? Down or a synthetic
>like Quallofil, Microfil, Liteloft, Polartec, etc.? Thanks.
>        Rodger

Amongst my stack of junk in the basement are bags of Polarguard (my canoe
bag, heavy/bulky), Quallofill (my wife's cold bag, really bulky), Hollofill
(my wife's summer bag, a forty degree bag, so there isn't much to it one
way or the other) and down (my first and favorite bag, now pushing 25 years
old, warm/light/very packable/cold when wet/a bitch to dry) . We have heard
all the arguments for and against all of these. My newest bag which I
bought this year as a replacement for my down bag which has lost some of
it's loft is of Primaloft and it is now my material of choice. Although the
bag I own has 7 inches of loft and is way too warm/heavy for summertime
use, I would not hesitate to buy a lighter weight one for three season
backbacking. It seems to me to be the closest to down in terms of
packability (it packs way smaller than any other synthetic I own) plus the
benefit of warmth when wet because it is synthetic. I would say a 15-30
degree Primaloft would be perfect for the Trail depending on how hot or
cold you sleep. I have heard bad reports for Liteloft but I have no
experience with it so you might want to also check it out.cya

Douglas "Cap" Introne
Stable Isotope Laboratory
Sawyer Environmental Research Center
University of Maine