Re: Rain Gear

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Matt Donath wrote:

[rain gear thread]
> Let's say you're no longer a poor college student and want to buy some
> good Gore-Tek rain gear for backpacking.  I'd like to hear the opinions
> of people on 3-ply vs 2-ply/mesh/reinforced.
>
> >From what I understand the 3-ply is more durable and is lighter (not needing
> a mesh lining).  The 2-ply is softer and seems more comfortable.

As I alluded to earlier, I have a Marmot Stormlight (I think), which is
3-layer and packs very small (about the size of a large fist) and is very light.
It is the shoulders are also 3-layer, but they use a more abrasion
resistant-nylon (I think the Thunderlight also has that on the hips).
Big pit zips and mesh chest pockets make for great ventilation.  The hood
design is good too.

I also mentioned in my earlier post that I picked up a thicker one for
winter use.  I was worried  about it getting shredded going off-trail or
tumbling down a hill.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it.  I was watching the Trailside AT
episode the other night and noticed that it looked like Wrong Way was
wearing it at the end, so his seemed to have made it to Khatadin (sp?).

For a more versatile 2-layer shell I like the Marmot Alpine-light (I believe)
which for my money was the best shell on the market until Mountain
Hardware came out with theirs.

I've not spent a long time looking at Mtn. Hardware's clothing, but
everything I have seen of their's has been top notch and I have been VERY
impressed with the clothing that I have seen.  I believe that their
Ethereal (3-layer) won a BP magazine Editor's Choice last year.  I think
any shopping for shells would be incomplete without serious consideration
of their stuff.
Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany - Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."