Re: Merrells for thru-hike?

>   Howdy all! A quick question about boots and thru-hiking:
>   Late last year I bought a pair of Merrell Lassens on clearance.
>These boots were $200 regular price, and are just about Merrell's top
>of the line -- I think there were one or two models better than these
>fellers. They're medium- to light heavyweight boots, with excellent
>support and Vibram soles, blah blah blah. (Sound like a salesperson,
>don't I?)
>   Anywho, I was wondering if these boots would last the entire trip,
>barring any unusual wear and tear (i.e. freak of nature stuff). I've
>dealt with Merrell in the past and their customer service seems
>excellent, but if the boots just plain wear out, that probably won't
>be covered by the warranty. The reason I ask is that Campmor has
>these boots on final clearance, and I was wondering if I should grab
>a pair just to be safe. BTW, I love the boots! They fit great and
>have yet to give me a blister (Can you hear me furiously knocking on
>wood? ;-))
>   So, any opinions?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>"Trailnameless Joe"
>GA-->ME '96 (provided I have enough "sole" to make it...)

Joe -

I don't know about those particular boots, but thought I ought to tell you
that most thruhikers wear out more than one pair of boots on the Trail.
I wore out 3 pairs of Vasque Sundowners and was well into the fourth pair
at Katahdin.  Even my partner had to change boots at Hanover, NH.  She
gets about twice the mileage out of a pair of boots that I do. The only
people I know who made it on one pair of boots were those who used
heavy duty mountain boots or Limmers. And I won't use those for the
AT - they put too much stress on the knees.

Personal opinion - I'd get the second pair and break them in before
starting the Trail.  One small possible problem - by the time you
get them, your feet may have grown.

Good luck
Jim Owen