RE: Corey - Info

>Hey,     I'm new to this list and just wanted to say hello out there.  I'm
planning to do a thru-hike starting in April.  This will be my first.

Here's a question.  Has anyone ever been to trail days in Damascus and how
great is it?  I've heard good things but would like to know more.  I believe
it's May 17-19th this year, can anyone confirm?  Thanks.

Anyone in the Orlando, FL area that is planning a thru-hike and has some
insider information to pass on about things to do in towns, cool hostels or
whatever, write me.      Thanks.   Corey  <

Corey,
 Following is a compilation of some of the informative posts to the list.
 Unfortunately,
I do not have an electronic version of all the great info others have
posted, although
I do have a hard copy of a few posts - 2 on all the great towns to visit.
 If you'd like
a copy I'll snail mail it to you or you can pick it up sometime - I live in
Orlando also!
(You can email me below for exchange of phone #'s, etc.)
L'il Engine
GA -> ME '96
************
 Therese Pederson   tpederso@ist.ucf.edu
 Institute for Sim & Tng.;          3280 Progress Dr.;           Orlando FL
32826
************ "Therefore am I still        A lover of the meadows;   and of
all that we behold
>From this green earth;          of all the mighty world
Of eye, and ear, - both what they half create,
And what perceive; well pleased to recognize
In nature and the language of the sense,
The anchor of my purest thoughts, the nurse,
The guide, the guardian of my heart, and so
Of all my moral being."                    William Wordsworth
*************

Possibly Useful Information:

***************AT WebPages************
Most people might know about most of these sites, but here are a few Web
Pages about areas the Trail passes through - they are of interest to me
because I can read about (and see!) some of the places I will see during
GA->ME 96', and I thought other might find them useful as well :

The White Mountains
http://www.iii.net/users/lexi/whites/
http://www.gorp.com/gorp/resource/US_National_Forest/nh_white.HTM

An Inspirational Sign
http://www.iii.net/users/lexi/whites/pix/sign.jpg

The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal
http://www.fred.net/kathy/canal.html

Harper's Ferry
http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/clayspic.html
http://www.nps.gov/hafe/hf_hist.htm
http://www.nps.gov/hafe/hf_visit.htm

National Park Maps
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/Libs/PCL/Map_collection/National_parks/
                                         Great_Smoky_Mts._map.jpg
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/Libs/PCL/Map_collection/National_parks/
                                               Shenandoah_map.jpg

I hope this isn`t too too common and a needless post.    Out in CA planning
for the AT,    Andy GA->ME 96'
*****backpacking ideas in with the one-nighter & car camping stuff:*****

The Roadshow Gourmet
    PATC
    118 Park Street, SE
    Vienna, VA 22180

AYH Outdoor Food Book
    Pittsburgh Council, AYH INC
    6300 5th Ave
    Pittsburgh, PA 15232

Simple Foods for the Pack
    Sierra Club
    ISBN: 0-87156-757-1

The One Burner Gourmet
    Harriet Baker
    ISBN 0-8092-5883-8

and that old standby

Roughing It Easy
    Dian Thomas
    ISBN 0-446-33205-4
still has an idea or two you can use in a backpack.

     Dave
*****Transportation************
The Springer Mtn. end of the trail is not near anything.  Forest Service
Rte. 42 comes about a mile from the end, or there is an access trail leading
to Amicalola Falls Statwe Park, about 6 miles away.  The transportation
connection you will make will almost surely be in Atlanta, about 2 hours
away (2 hrs. 10 minutes last weekend to the FS 42 AT crossing).  I have a
file with directions to that spot, if you want it.

The Georgia AT Club has a list of people running shuttle services.
 - Evans M. Harrell II                Office:  404-853-9121
 - School of Mathematics              Home:    404-233-3381
 - Georgia Institute of Technology    FAX:     404-853-9112
 - Atlanta  GA 30332-0160             E-Mail: harrell@math.gatech.edu
 - USA
 -       http://www.math.gatech.edu/~harrell/emhpage.html