Re: Greetings, List.

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Michael Roberts wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>   Just to let you know what I used: I don't know what the size was, but I
> carried a Kelty (Super?) Tioga pack.  It had plenty of room for my stuff.
> It's an external frame pack, so it's cheaper than an internal frame.  For
> the AT, I think an external frame is fine, and several people I've talked
> to have agreed.  Of course, the internal vs external argument could be
> opened up here in the group if anyone feels strongly about it.
>
> --Mike

Since I'm in the planning stages for a thru hike for 97, Mike's point about
what type of pack to use is an important one.  I have a Super Tioga which
I have used for many multi-day hikes.  My roomate also used it on a 2
week backpacking trip in Alaska.  He is currently looking at both the
Gregory and Osprey internal framed packs.  We spent several hours trying
them on with varied weights this past weekend.  Both seemed good, but
which would be the better pack?   I like my external frame pack, but am
torn on whether or not to purchase another pack.  Which would be the
better pack for a thru hike?  And then the size factor comes into play.
Would a smaller cu inch pack be better?  I know it forces you to pack
lighter, but I would think that might force you to make more mail drops
for food, etc. So many questions, thank God I have some time to work it out!

Dave
David Davison    afn01191@afn.org,  GH3@afn.org
G'ville Hash House Harriers    http://www.afn.org/~gh3/
University of Florida Canoe and Raft Club  http://www.afn.org/~canraft/
Paddling can give you the opportunity to get away from everyday life and find solitude[and]silence.
     -Bunny Johns