Re: Black Flies

>> Linda Wacker mentioned wearing a hat...probably regarding deer flies and
>> black flies.  This is good advice.  A recent report suggests that
> >

>Ok. time to show my ignorance an "newbieness."  What is the deal everyone
>else mentions about the black flies?  I live in Southwest Virginia and sure
>we have black flies around here, but they don't bite, sting, annoy, or harrass
>you in any way that I can see.  They just clump around feces and dead animals
>and leave moving things alone.  Apparently I've been blessed with this.  So
>what isthe deal with this buggers elsewhere?
>--
>S. Schuyler Stultz              Recognition Research Inc.

Steve,
The black flies in Maine are definitely a different critter from those you're
familiar with.  They are more like fierce biting gnats.  When I hiked there in
the 70's the locals in Monson sold me something called "Old Woodsman Fly Dope."
It looked like creosote, gave you an instant tan, smelled awful, but worked
pretty good at keeping the little buggers at bay.  Combine it with long sleeves,
a head net and a fast pace and heck, you won't even know they are there 8-)

Rick Holt
Pasadena, MD