Introduction...

Hello fellow AT'ers-

My name is Dan, and it was suggested in the signon message of the list to
introduce myself, So...

I am currently an undergraduate student at the University of Tennessee at
Chattanooga in Secondary Education: Natural Science-Physics. I will
graduate in December after a long semester of student teaching, and I
find I am not sure I want to teach! At least at th high school level. I
am 36, and thus have a significant amount of life experience behind me
and find that my personality style may not match what is required to
survive in today's schools as a teacher. I have made alternate plans to
attend graduate school at UT Knoxville to obtain my Masters in
Architecture. But as I stated before, I still am not sure!

Thus I have begun planning a thru-hike, hopefully beginning in January,
in order to clear my head and make some decisions. While most people
would question my beginning in January, let me advise you I grew up in
the Adirondack mountains of NY, and have always preferred Winter hiking
to other seasons. Since it has been a while since I have done a lot of
hiking, I plan on starting slow in addition to starting a conditioning
program now. Graduate school, if I decide to go, would begin in June,
thus leaving me about 5 1/2 months for the trip. From my reading so far,
this seems a reasonable time period. I started this planning a year ago,
but found I did not have the time required available. This period between
undergraduate and graduate school seems like the best one I will ever
have. Once out of graduate school, it will be time to get to work to pay
off all those school loans! ;)

I have found the AT Web pages, and have pulled a lot of information from
them. I thank those that have contributed to them. I plan on joining the
ATC and obtaining their maps and data book. I have the one for the
southern end already. David Bailey mentioned having his time table on a
spreadsheet, if he is listening, or anyone else that has one, I would
appreciate a copy to start my planning from. I can handle most any format
file, Mac or PC.

I am interested in all help that may be available, particularly along the
lines of matching up with someone else that is interested in going along
at about the same time. I believe it is safer to travel in pairs, rather
than alone, in case of injury. Is there some postings somewhere that I
might look up?

Thanks for the assistance in advance, I look forward to an interesting group!

-Dan

C Daniel Chase        cchase@cecasun.utc.edu      Roots-L Administration
                GenWeb-->   http://www.utc.edu/~cchase/