Trail impassable in Georgia (fwd)

>From Jim Kovar.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 1995 21:30:23 -0500
From: jim kovar <jvkovar@mindspring.com>
To: appalachiantrail@charitiesusa.com, ahiltz@rosslyn.bbn.com,
    appalachiantrail@charitiesusa.com, 71155.765@compuserve.com,
    ludas@lehigh.edu, jvkovar@mindspring.com, kathy@fred.net,
    skohler@mindspring.com, skeen@microbio.emory.edu, brrx66a@prodigy.com,
    vhill@mordred.gatech.edu, Vhill@mindspring.com
Subject: Trail impassable in Georgia

Hello fellow trail lovers and page maintainers;

        The Appalachian Trail has suffered severe damage and is completely
blocked in many places due to blowdowns and related storm damage from
Hurricane Opal on the Georgia sections.
         We are having requests from thru hikers met on the trail to be
taken out.  Hikers   still planning to come to the south should discard all
timetables and schedules at this time.  We are working to  locate the trail,
cut tunnels thru the brush and clear where possible. Special maintainence
trips are being scheduled, but the damage is severe and this will take a
while. it is indeterminable at this time as to when the trail will be open,
but we are working on it.

         Please post an advisory to the effect that the trail is impassable
in many
places on the Georgia sections, and that hikers planning trips south should
expect major delays.
Thanks for the help.  jvk

Jim Kovar
jvkovar@mindspring.com
GATC homepage:  http://www.mindspring.com/~jvkovar/gatc/gatc.html
voice mail-404-297-8842

"The richest values of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor
even in the present but rather in the future."  - Aldo Leopold