Re: To Jim Bruton

I just packed a light nylon windbreaker. It is treated for water
repellency but won't hold up in a drenching.

I hiked in shorts, the quick-dry nylon type, and relied on a pair of dry
pants to change into once I got to a shelter or pitched my tent. I know I
said "avoid cotton," but my long pants were cotton. I just made sure to
keep them dry. The thing wrong with cotton is that it is cold when wet,
and will rot after a while if not dried out. It seems the only place
cotton makes much sense is the desert.

My pot had a one-liter capacity. Just right for those Lipton dinners! I
hung onto my sleeping bag the whole time, 'though it would've made more
sense to exchange it for a thin blanket, once I reached Virginia.

I had a pack that was light enough for me, when I didn't go overboard on
the food. But many thru hikers did better than I did at having a light
pack. I learned a lot by meeting other hikers.

I don't know about a hammock tent. No data on that. Seems like it would
keep dry pretty well. Finding trees won't be a problem :). Camping on
balds is possible, but rare.

I'd like to do a thru hike, but being a teacher, I guess I'd have to take
an academic year off. I think that means starting at the northern
end...starting in Georgia in June would be too late (unless I
flip-flopped). How are you able to get an April start, with your teaching
job? Hope you don't mind me asking :)

I have heard, too, that one wants to wait 'till July to start in Maine.
Black flies.

 On Sat, 23 Sep 1995, Rich Milewski wrote:

> To: Jim Burton
>
> Thanks for the list of equipment it was a great help. If you have the time
> to answer, I have a couple of more questions that your list brought to mind.
>
> Was your windbreaker one of those rubber coated kind?  What about waterproof
> pants or leggins?  The hypo thermia problem is something I overlooked,
> thanks for the inof on the jacket.
>
> I am trying to make up my mind about the Bivy Sack.  Bibler makes a 3lb.
> tent but it's expensive and I have had some bad reports about it from
> hikers.  I wondered about a hammoc tent made by LLBean, do you often get
> caught on the balds, where I presume there are no trees to tie a hammoc to.
>
> How large was your cooking pot? Did you keep the light sleeping bag the
> whole trip? Thanks for your time. Rich
>

> Jim Bruton, jbruton@quest.arc.nasa.gov,
  Chinle, AZ