Re: Snake bites

There have been several articles in the last few years, including one
in the Appalachian Trailways News (or whatever is is called - the ATC
publication) telling people NOT to cut & suction.  Apparently, current
wisdom is to apply a LIGHT tourniquet and hike out to get medical
attention.  With cutting and suction there is a big risk of infection,
which is greater, so the reasoning goes, than the risk a healthy
person has from the average rattler or copperhead.  The article,
which I clipped somewhere, was written by a professional of some
kind - director of a snakebite lab or something like that.

I will try to follow up with particulars if I can locate the
article.

I am not a doctor, and you should not take this as professional advice.

Evans Harrell

P.S.  For what it is worth, my 75 lb dog was bitten on the snout by a
copperhead last week and was out of commission for only a day.
Some weakness and swelling persisted for another day.
The vet treated her with an antihistamine (something I carry in my
back-packing first aid kit) and a synthetic cortisone - no antivenin,
no cutting, and no suction.