Safety on Trail + Maine '97 - Where?

>> Would you
> >mind answering the following questions?   My husband, 16-year old
> daughter
> >and friends are going to hike the AT starting possibly at Harper's Ferry
> >in WV. We have seen newspaper/tv reports regarding muggings, rapes,
> >murders, etc.  Is this trail safe?  Who could I call regarding this?

No place is safe in this world it seems, however, I would say you're
probably a lot safer on the A.T. than most other places, especially if
you're in a group.  Also, some of the tragic incidents may possibly have
been prevented in my opinion if the victims had been more wary and less
willing to try to be kind and helpful to people who showed signs that
something was "off" with them - and had immediately left the vicinity of
the people in question.

You could call up the ATC and talk to Jean Cashin.  The number - I think
- is: 304-535-6331. (If that's wrong, you can get it from information.)

Basically the ATC always recommends that people not hike alone.  But - I
think - mostly for reasons having to do with the potential for injury
from falls rather than from humans - as you're far more likely to have
problems as a result of a slight mis-step than just about anything else -
and it would certainly be nice to have another person or 2 along who
could help you out..

Also - Re: Maine - Mark - could you tell us where in Maine the Conference
is going to be held?

--Kathy

Follow-Ups: References: