Re: Tag hike

Mike McCrary said:

> AOL Backpack forum members have organized a thru hike that just started in
> June.  The plan is to be at Springer by the last week in December.    Their
> is a schedule and journal (including pictures) for the different sections of
> the thru  I would like to participate in one of the 3 Georgia sections.

Thanks for the info.  I guess one has to be on AOL to see it. Oh well.

> There also is a web site "An Appalachian Adventure" (http://www.nando.net)
> that journals a "Tag-Team thru hike that several newspapers are doing.

I wonder if the Backpacker AOL forum folks got their idea from the
newspaper hike?

Re: one of the articles that appeared there - I thought I would attach
below a post that was just made today to the Discussing the AT area of
the page.  (For those who haven't visited that section and made a post
there, if you make a post there, you will receive by email any subsequent
posts that are made there - unless you tell it not to subscribe you.)

> As others have already said, I enjoy your web site.  Has the ATC asked to
> participate in the development?

No.  The person in charge of info for the ATC is not at all keen on the
idea of online stuff.  He seemed genuinely happy that - in the spirit of
volunteerism associated with the AT - someone had created the site on a
volunteer basis.  I would imagine that at some point they would want to
have their full catalog and order form available on the net.

> Do you have plans for changes to the page.

I'm sure it'll change.  One thing I've been meaning to do is do a
separate FAQ for regular hiking - rather than just having the one geared
toward thru-hiking.

--Kathy Bilton

Here is the post I referred to above: