[at-l] No Money For AT?

        Times says oil companies are being given gifts of 6 billion in
subsidies in the form of royalty exemptions.

             Shell Oil had the decency to admit it doesn't need subsidies in
times of record profits. The recent energy bill locked in this exemption for
another 5 years. Some economists say these breaks will lead to a possible 28
billion loss in tax revenue. The rule was written when oil was $20 a barrel -
making it expensive for oil companies to drill for oil.

              Since fossil fuels make the sprawl that is encroaching on the
AT possible, it is only right to ask for a cut of the revenue to compensate. A
perfect example of our present government is its telling us there's no money
for the AT when they foolishly made the lack of money happen.

          1 billion of that squandered 28 billion would have gone a long way
on the Trail.

          Some experts estimate the real overall cost of the Iraq invasion to
be 1-2 TRILLION dollars.

              Times wrote that this was the result of those being most active
and closest to the issue having the most effect (lobbying in other words).

             I wonder what effect the "milo" lobby had?