[at-l] 2006 hiker count

Oops!!!  First of all, a little background on the change of numbers...

The numbers at Amicalola are down this year, but that could be because the
ranger station where the register is kept is open fewer hours so some hikers
may not have been able to register.

The number at Neel's Gap is up this year but that may be because the
resgister is now placed in the breezeway where all the hikers pass.  In past
years it was inside and not as easily and obviously accessible to the
hikers.  So, that could account for an increase at Neel's Gap.

So, doing direct comparison of the numbers from these locations with past
years numbers may be like comparing apples and oranges this year.

I think we'll have to wait to see how numbers change at other reporting
sites up the trail to get a better idea of this year's hikers.  Assuming the
reporting situations at Amicalola and Neel's gap stays the same over the
next couple of years should give us a better idea of what this year's
numbers really meant.

Mara - who for 15 years supported technical data analysis (ie. Statistics)
software.
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor