Now Off Topic: Re: [at-l] Bush Outsources Forestry Jobs

Regarding the outsourcing.. without a doubt, costs could be reduced by
outsourcing.  By handing the work to private employers you could, in the
long term, reduce the Government retirement payroll, if the Forest Service
employees are eligible for Gov. retirement, and I am 99.9% FS employees are.

Taking it a step further the outsourcing company could then make the bulk of
the labor contractors thus reducing cost by eliminating many benefits, such
as retirement, medical, etc.  But they may not take it that far, but I am
sure the jobs in question could be done for less cost.

Sometimes the Government isn't the most cost effective, but there can still
be arguments made that particular functions of running the country should be
kept centralized.  And I'm not sure if this is one of those functions or
not.  I'm leaning towards "yes" but if I keep bitching about deficit and
this is a demonstrable savings to the Government it makes it hard thing for
me to stand against if it is a true reduction of expense.  I still don't
"like" it though.  There is just something that feels wrong about it.

Greg