[at-l] The Nearest Trail

These statement brought back memories of a comment made by a British friend of
mine,

"In most of the world we walk to get somewhere.  Here [he was visiting on this
side of the pond at the time] you drive somewhere to walk."

My reaction is the goal of that central Florida regional initiative is that
they would do far better to have services (parks, libraries, theaters,
restaurants, pubs, shopping, etc.) within a 20-minute WALK of every resident.
Make that a within a 20-minute SAFE ( meaning safe from vehicles as much, or
more, than the safety from crime, which most US citizens would assume from
this statement) WALK of every resident.

My friend's comment was occasioned by the fact that he had flown into a small
city, taken a shuttle to his hotel, and then found that although he could see
a shopping center with restaurants and an outfitter, there was no legal way to
walk the mile or two to get there -- an Interstate spur and other limited
access roads isolating the hotel from the shopping center.  When I picked him
up, we did a little recon and decided it would have taken nearly a ten mile
walk (mostly along busy roads w/o sidewalks) to get there w/o illegally
crossing a limited access roads or using a bridge that prohibited pedestrian
traffic.  In fact, the Interstate spur was fenced in such a way that it was
nearly impossible to cross it, albeit you could see places that locals were
violating the law.

Chainsaw