[at-l] Vandalism on the Trail

In a message dated 3/1/2006 1:23:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
s.landis@comcast.net writes:
*
*
*
http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2006/03/01/news/news21.txt

Steve
*
*
*

             I went through this as a New York Long Path maintainer in New
York. One day I came upon a paint-ball playing field whose boundaries were
spray-painted on the surrounding mature trees.

           There's all sorts of personalities attracted to the woods. In the
New York area a good deal are completely clueless to the program on the trails
they walk. They have no idea of any Trail Conferences or clubs maintaining
and overseeing those trails and woods. Some like to hack ax marks on blaze trees
as if they are fantasizing an Alaskan wilderness. Some paint arrows showing
other arrivals how to get to the shelter for the party.

            One day I noticed an adult and son walking up the AT with spray
paint cans in a plastic bag. I asked them what they were doing and the man told
me "oh, we like to mark our own trails through the woods."

           It helps to advertise the "program".

*