[at-l] Appalachian Mountain Top Removal

              There's a good article in the March 'National Geographic' about
mountain top removal mining in the Appalachians. The story centers around SW
West Virginia where the practice has been escalating. A second article in the
same issue covers coal burning for electrical generation. Both are worth
reading if you have an interest in the subject. Especially interesting is the
impact on the old holler Appalachian folk affected by the mining.

              What got to me the most about the article was how they bury the
overburden into mountain valleys in order to get rid of it. Some of these
valley fills are gigantic. But what got to me was the fact that they bury the
topsoil deepest because it comes off first. It is then buried forever under
millions of tons of rock overburden. When they restore the mined areas they don't
quite bring conditions back to normal because they have wasted the topsoil. The
company says it is too expensive to save it for restoration. But that sounds
stupid to me because there's no reason the strip of one area can't be timed
with the cap-off of a restoration. Or if that is too hard there's no good reason
why a specific valley can't be chosen for topsoil only and then be used as a
store area for re-topsoiling after an area is restored. Sounds like a
no-brainer to me. I think what we are really talking about is companies not really
caring and just dumping the soil by the quickest route. It is a lot easier for
the Washington polecats to say "company officials tell us it is too expensive"
than do the smart thing. This is part of our neo legacy I guess. These areas
should be made permanently wild after they are decimated. Instead they look to
market them further. (Guess "it isn't wild anyway")

       Let's not mention the total destruction of prime Appalachian hardwood
forests. These lands are then sold for profit and maybe development as real
estate to finish the maximum exploitation cycle (the same cycle that caused the
Appalachian national forests to come to be). The West Virginia Appalachians
were cursed with coal. Otherwise they would be undesirable and left alone.

              US plans 40 new large CO2-producing coal generation power
stations in the near future (have to power sprawl).

*