[at-l] New Topic Trail Related

There are those who think that being saved means from something like a  fire,
or a storm at sea, or from falling off a mountain -- a rescue, in other
words.

But I am a Philatelist and I save stamps and while the stamps are saved  from
destruction I save then FOR my collection.  In that sense many have  the
understanding that being saved is for a purpose.  "Saved to serve" is a  motto of
one group of Christians.  Saved from being a couch-potato to  becoming a hiker
may be understandable.

What were you saved from?  A dull boring job with no meaning to  becoming a
Thru-hiker thereby learning how to be self-sufficient and capable of  making
plans to be a success, is another form of being saved.  Saved from a
meaningless relationship with people who shy away from risk to being a person  who goes
out into wild country and survives several nights in succession with no  store
or TV, car, or entertainment except to see the stars, the flora and at  times
the fauna of the wooded areas, to climb mountains and overcome  temperatures
of heat and cold, to risk meeting others who are risk  takers and converse
with people of varying degrees of social status from very  poor to very rich with
no mention of either and having only the concept and  solidarity of doing
something that 99 percent of society does not have any idea  about, and enjoying
the comaraderie in the woods.

Being saved for something gives a better (to my mind at least) internal
confidence than being saved from something unknown for no one has ever come back
from the beyond to tell us what is there.  Being saved for something gives
purpose and meaning to life in the here and now.

Take a hike!

Skylander Jack