[at-l] Temperature range mid-April thru May

On Feb 28, 2006, at 11:39 PM, Trail Walker wrote:

>   I plan to use a Hennessy ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM Hammock and a
> 20-degree down bag.  Still need to experiment with a pad suitable
> for inside the hammock.

I have used my Hennessy Hammock on the Trail in cooler weather. A
couple of years ago I hammocked on the base of Whitetop in Va in mid-
April, and got nasty mixed sleet/snow/freezing rain. I was very warm
inside the hammock inside a 10-F down bag with an XL Ridgerest pad
(25 inches wide). You need a pad that's wide enough to wrap around
your shoulders.

You could also buy or make a quilt to hang under the bottom of the
hammock. Google JacksRBetter and or Kickass Quilts.

Even in May, you can expect nighttime temps in the 40s and 50s in
North Carolina.

Hope this helps,

Ken
Big Cranky