[at-l] OT - Ecotourism trip report

Second try, this time inline and not as an attachment:

Not very trail related. I did do about 10 miles of hiking, and it was
sort of on the way back from the Ruck. I also prominently displayed my
day pack's AT patch ;)

- Greenbriar

Best viewed with a fixed width font like Courier.

This is a transcription of the trip notebook for my 2006 Guatemala & Costa
Rica trip.

It was written in a blue 3 x 5" spiral ring notebook, and was updated daily.
The text transcription below is literal with misspellings and other features
intact. There are 29 pages.

Text                                       Notes
|----------------------------------------| -----
|                                    (1) |
|               Guatemala                |
|                   &                    |
|               Costa Rica               | With breif stops in El Salvador
|                  2006                  |   & Nicaragua
|                   mm                   |
|                  mmmm                  | Mayan Temple
|                 mmmmmm                 |
|                mmmmmmmm                |
|          www      .>>>                 |
|           \\     /|\                   | Rainy Volcano
|                 /   \                  |
|              __/  /  \__               |
|                  O                     | Toucan
|                 /L                     |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                    (2) |
| THU 2 FEB | Up at 5:30 to cats' de-    |
| lite. Coffee & wait for cab w paper.   |
| Goodbyes to K & N. Dulles security     | Washington, DC
| quick, but TACA had no gates so        |
| no Starbucks. Flight on time - 1st     | Only time I drink Starbucks
| trip where airline sold meals.         | Sign of the times
| Saw "Alamo". Earbuds. Plane not        |
| half full. Views of Yucatan & across   |
| to San Salvador. Freeway below. Palms  |
| but dry season. Short wait for flight  |
| to Guat. Arr, Imm & Customs, found     | *** Start Guatemala City
| bag with lock & straps ripped off & 2  |
| holes torn - not happy w TACA.         |
| Short drive to non-descript hotel      |
| but in center of tourist zone.         |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                    (3) |
| This is a razor wire & armed           | Sawn off shotguns at every 7/11!
| guard town. Changed money.             |
| Short walk while room gotten           |
| ready. Bought water 4Q (~60?) 600      |
| ml. Repack at room. Another            |
| walk to explore then short             |
| nap in room. Dinner was Gaut.          |
| mixed grille of 2 types of saus,       |
| steak & pork, w beans, rice, salsa,    | First of constant beans and rice
| great Guacamole, tortillas, rolls,     |
| 2 cervesas - Gallo. Expensive,         | Local beer
| but in native Indian huge "hut"        |
| w serenaders & costumed waiters.       | Great atmosphere!
| After dinner planter punch at          |
| hotel (free) w Thomas. Bed early.      | Thomas was Guat Trip Leader
|----------------------------------------|
|                                    (4) |
| FRI 3 FEB | Long sleep, up at 6:30.    |
| Bath. Brkfst got off slow - they       |
| were not organized - but eggs ok       |
| & beans great! Met other 6 over        | 7 in Guat tour.
| coffee. Briefing at 9:00 by Tho-       |
| mas, then into van for city tour,      |
| which consisted of Berlin Wall         |
| park w cloudy view of volcano,         |
| tour of former President's palace      |
| w folk dancing, and walk around        |
| main square. I guess there is          |
| not that much to see in Guat.          |
| City. Water stop on way to Ant-        |
| igua, trafic, Pan-American Hwy. Anti-  | *** Start Antigua
| gua is beautiful! Volcan Agua          |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                    (5) |
| above cobbled streets oozing           |
| charm. Had lunch - bean soup - in      |
| posada. Lots of earthquake damage.     | Posada means Inn
| Beautiful roman/baroque La Mer-        | Cathedral
| ced, many shops, vendors, central      |
| "got milk" park, band playing, crowds  | Fountain spouted suggestively.
| of tourists. Jade factory. To room     | No one bought ;)
| in Antigua Porta Hotel. Great          |
| gardens w roses in courtyard           |
| in front of room. Room has atmos-      |
| phere. Antigua makes up for Guat       |
| City. Met for dinner after wel-        |
| come planters punch in bar &           | Rum is the drink in C.A.
| exploration walk around hotel          |
| resort. Drove to dinner - fish,        |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                    (6) |
| glass of wine - rather ordinary,       |
| OAT controlling costs. Nightcap        |
| w Bill in bar, bed.                    |
| SAT 4 FEB | Up at 6:30, bath, good     |
| buffet breakfast w inter-              |
| esting Guat foods w omelet. Off        |
| in van on Pan-American Hwy             | Pan-Am Hwy is mainly 2 lane, with
| past volcanoes, small towns, pover-    |   potholes! Better near cities.
| ty, landslides & chicken busses to     | Old US schoolbusses brightly
painted,
| lake Atitlan. Drove down to            |   free lance & crowded
| lake, on boat cruised past             |
| lake towns & rich villas. Stopped      |
| at town, saw weavers, tried on         |
| native Mayan outfits. Talk in          | Outfits for sale
| church on civil war. Other             |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                    (7) |
| talks included marriage & birth        |
| customs, litteracy, politics, cor-     |
| uption, more. Visited local home       | Extreme poverty. Open fire on
floor.
| w steam rooms, cookfire, cat. Van      |
| to lake tourist town. So-so            |
| Lunch w again good squash              |
| soup & pork. Pineapple is excel-       |
| lent here. Shopping stroll in          |
| town, then goodbye lake & vol-         |
| canoes, up, up out of caldera          | Lake is colapsed caldera
| & 3 hour drive back to Antigua.        |
| Margaritas & dinner - good chick-      |
| en w cilantro at hotel & bed,          |
| Despite loud party in next courtyard.  |
| SUN 5 FEB | Up late at 7:30 leis-      |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                    (8) |
| urely brkfst w Bill & Sharon, then     |
| walk to late rising town. Inter-       |
| net email home - Uncle Billy died      | Missed funeral :(
| :(. Stroll to market, shops, square.   |
| People watching. Met Judy & Jan,       |
| shopping in artisan's market. Cap-     |
| ochino & sopa xochitil (avacodo & tur  |
| key & jalopeno) - HOT! More people-    |
| watching, heard Judy's Grand           |
| Teton climb tale. Met up w others      |
| at pool at resort, then dinner         |
| in town: Guat sampler of tamale,       |
| rice, tortilla, liver stew, chick stew,|
| turkey stew w wine. Back to            |
| hotel, watched 10 mins of Super        |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                    (9) |
| Bowl (in espanol). Pack, bed by 9:00.  |
| MON 6 FEB | Up at 3:30 - oof! Bath,    |
| pack, OH NO! - suitcase ripped. Found  | TACA'd - seam gave way.
| another tour's coffee in lobby.        |
| Got box lunch (bkfst?) which promp-    |
| ly tore. Off through dark in van       | Grumpy morning.
| to airport, views of Gaut City         |
| below in dark. No napkin, spoon in     |
| box lunch :(. Flight to Flores w some  | *** Start Yucatan
| views, Yucatan more civilized than     |
| I had thought. Long drive to           |
| El Remate to order lunch - beef        |
| fajitas. Then to Yaxha site, which     |
| was great. Many pyramids in all        |
| states of excavations. Climbed         |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (10) |
| tallest. Howler monkeys & wild         |
| parrots eating fruit! Stelae, pelota   |
| courts, long jungle trek, stairways    |
| to climb, & great Mayan educated       |
| guide. This is what I came for! Back   |
| for another mediocre lunch, but        |
| good toucan topiary & hummingbirds.    |
| Finally back to Villas Maya Resort     |
| to try to sew suitcase. Short nap.     | Which held for rest of trip.
| Then nature walk to poolside.          |
| Sundown over laguna - Kingfisher       |
| but no croc. Diner: cr(?) of broc      | Not much cream.
| soup, tough dry fried pork cutlet      |
| (vs spaghetti w tom suace) & banana    |
| w honey - food not very good here.     |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (11) |
| Shower, 2 peptos. Read. Bed.           | First traveler's diarhea.
| TUE 7 FEB | Up at 6:30. Bkfst - no buf-|
| fet, omelet, coffee. Off to Tikal -    |
| oh no! Rain :( Ended up all day,       |
| steady. Poncho to the rescue. Long     |
| breifing, (after 1+ hour drive). Mus-  |
| eum complex model was good. Saw        |
| good ceiba, then market, sweat bath,   | Ceiba is Kapok tree, a giant
| Temple 38 & into spectacular centra-   |
| l complex w facing Temples I & II,     | Magnificent!
| North Acropolis, stair terrance, ste-  |
| las. Climbed Temple II on steep        |
| rickety stairs. Hardest was desce-     |
| nt. Along causeway to temple IV        |
| but no one climbed - too wet. Lunch    |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (12) |
| was good chicken at concession         |
| restaurant, everyone dripping. Saw     |
| museum w stela pictograph writing      | Lecture on Long Count Calendar
| & tomb exhibit. Back to van &          |
| into Flores to Ac'tun Caan cave        |
| for $3 - half wild, few lights, good   |
| rooms & formations & intriguing        |
| 2 miles to alt exit not taken.         |
| Drove around Flores town in is-        |
| land & back to resort for show-        |
| er. Strung clothes line. Farewell      |
| filet turned to be hamburger -         |
| oh well. Group photo, paid bill, re-   |
| packed, read, bed.                     |
| WED 8 FEB | Travel day, up at 5:30.    |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (13) |
| Same brkfst at 6:00. No crocodile      | Great croc at dinner - ate rolls.
| today. Off at 6:30 to airport. Wait,   |
| fly to Guat City. Long wait. Sec-      |
| urity officaldon, luggage. Lots of re- |
| ading. Fly to San Jose, good views     | *** Start San Jose
| most of trip of Guat, S.Salv, Costa.   |
| Arrive. More officaldom, luggage. Meet |
| Carlos, drive to Marriott Courtyard,   | Trip leader
| way out of town. Fighting sore         | In safe suburbs, and close to AP
| throat all day. Into room, took        |
| 1 hour nap, tried "Imperial" Tico beer.| "Pilsen" brand was better.
| Went to din w J & J in great Tico      |
| fusion restaurant w live sax music:    |
| Shrimp w tarragon & anchovies, w black |
| beans & chardonay, at a fair price!    |
| Read then bed fighting cold :(         |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (14) |
| THU 9 FEB | Up at 7:00 w 8+ hrs        |
| sleep. Bath, coffee in room, pack,     |
| breakfast buffet w 1st pinto gal-      | "Speckled Rooster": fried
black beans
| lo. Carlos breifing & meet remain-     |   and rice, a brkfst staple.
| ing 8 in tour. On to bus (cramped)     | Now 15 total
| and into San Jose to National Museum   |
| in ex-army base w good exhibits        | Costa has no army! Also no
coups ;)
| (& giant stone balls). Next out of     | Of unknown indigenous origen
| town past volcanoes up to coffee       |
| finca w local lunch & explanat-        | Finca means ranch/farm
| ion of coffee processing. Over         |
| mountains & cont. devide, missing      |
| 2 toed sloth, but seeing quetzels      | Gorgess quetzels!
| (!), hummingbirds, hawk, water-        |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (15) |
| falls, even pet tarantula, while       |
| fighting cold - I can barely           |
| speak :(. Into lowlands & Sara-        | *** Start Sarapiquis
| piquis Resort w neat if non air-       |
| con'd rooms in palenques. Un-          | Palenques are huge huts, 100"
tall
| pack, drink, buffet after breifing &   |
| optional tour sales talk. Read, bed.   |
| FRI 10 FEB | Up at 5:00 for elective   |
| birding at dawn: saw toucan! Also      | First of many
| wild/tame squirrel. Brkfst buffet,     | Climbed on my back
| lots of coffee, then changed for       | Great coffee in C.A.
| white water rafting. Safety gear       |
| & talk, instructions, then 12 km       |
| of Sarapiquis class II rapids, many    |
| birds, herons, 1 2m king snake in      |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (16) |
| tree. We hit a wall & I went in        |
| but was hauled back by raft            |
| guide. So-so lunch on river,           |
| then 2 hour free time, almost          |
| fell asleep. Next complete tour        |
| of Dole Pineapple finca, growing,      |
| packing. Pineapple samples great.      |
| Then pottery demo at hotel & cons-     |
| ervation lecture by naturalist.        |
| Dinner was spaghetti, but good         |
| salad bar. After din bat lecture       |
| w scared caught bat, little fly-       | Very soft.
| ing mouse. Shower wouldn't turn        |
| off, had to go to desk. Long day.      |
| SAT 11 FEB | Up late at 7:00 coughing  |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (17) |
| all night :( Started Cipro. Brkfst     |
| acutally worse. Walk suspension bri-   |
| dge over Sarapiquis to Tirimbina       |
| Bio Reserve, seeing bagged boa         | Farmers had turned him in
| along way. Saw sloth, great white      |
| face monkey, ceiba, walking trees.     | They can walk 2 1/2" per year.
| Good rainforest. Coffee, then pack     |
| & lunch w fair ham. Anthopology        |
| museum was fair, then on bus           |
| for 2+ hours drive to La Fortun-       |
| a w great volcano views. Fair          | Turned out to be ONLY Arenal
| happening in La fortuna w horse        |
| shows & C. R. bull fights. Stopped     |
| in town along way to explore.          | Bought local rum
| Bumpy 2 KM road to Chachagua           | *** Start Chachagua
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (18) |
| Resort, pretty but rustic & need-      |
| ing some repair. Got settled in        |
| room. Met in bar, free OAT drink       |
| gauro sour. Served buffet din of       | Guaro is rotgut cane liquor.
| good resort raised tilapia. Weak       |
| shower, read, rum, bed. Woke at        |
| 3:00 am coughing, more rum, bed.       | Effective cough syrup ;)
| SUN 12 FEB | Up 6:45, fair bkfst of    |
| gallo pinto, salsa'd scrambled eggs,   |
| dense bread. Lots of coffee, many      |
| toucans at feeding station. Coolish    | 65 degrees
| out, warmed up quickly. Off on         |
| bad road but stopped at small          |
| farm to milk cow! Also 2nd brfst       | Moooo!
| of tortillas made by self, cheese,     |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (19) |
| yuca fritters, more. Nice family. On   |
| to school, welcomed by kids (on        |
| Sunday yet), then folk dances, tour,   | Great folk dances
| play nat anthem, more. Grand Cir-      |
| cle had pretty much re-built the       |
| school. Then to home visit lunch,      |
| which was elaborate, chic & chic peas, |
| tortillas, rice, great beans, corn&pim-|
| ento, yuca fritters, tomatoes, coffee, |
| lemonade. Played papas caliente & Who' | Hot Potato - kids were great!
| s Got the Colones? - Walt had spill.   | Colones is a coin
| Cat, dogs, parakeets, small rooms,     |
| lots of toys, at least 5 kids, 2 hers. |
| Back to resort, no internet. After     |
| break, drinks at bar, walk around gro- |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (20) |
| unds seeing flora. Volcano lecture     |
| near admin (no slides), then dinner.   |
| Extra: after din, 7 of us went into    |
| La Fortuna to see fair/carnival -      | Annual town feria
| rides, food, dancing, games of chance. |
| Saw sloth on telephone wire on         |
| way & dying fer-de-lance on            | Run over by car
| way home. Late bed - ~11:30 after bath.|
| MON 13 FEB | Up at 6:30, pack, pour-   |
| ing rain :(. Brkfst, sad hungry        |
| toucans to feed. Off to women's        |
| herb co-op, then 2 acre mini           |
| eco farm, including sugar cane         |
| demo & gauro sample. Good              |
| lunch of home grown produce.           |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (21) |
| Into La Fortuna to Volcano Lodge.      | *** Start La Fortuna
| Unpack & next to hanging bridges       |
| behind volcano over dam. 3 hour hike   |
| in rain, no critters but birds, great  |
| rain forest & many high bridges. Next  |
| to hot springs, change to b-suit, into |
| hot pools & under hot waterfalls       |
| w pina colada. Dinner of steak & sal-  | Pura Vida!
| ad & good beans. Then back to lodge    |
| to hanging wet clothes & gather        |
| laundry. Read, bed.                    |
| TUE 14 FEB | Valentines Day. Up at     |
| 6:30, cough better despite rainy hike. |
| Turned in laundry, brkfst buffet, good |
| sausage, omelet station. Off in pouring|
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (22) |
| rain north to Cano Negro area          |
| for float boat on Rio Frio. Many       |
| birds, kingfishers, monkeys, albino mo-|
| nkeys, storks, caiman. No rain,        |
| even some blue sky. Picnic buffet on   |
| Nicaraguan border. Ride back into      |
| rain :( to La Fortuna. Internet, sh-   |
| opping. Back to room, laundry, re-     |
| group. Dinner at hotel, good tilapia.  |
| Fair wine. Talk, bath, bed, read.      |
| WED 15 FEB | Up 6:30, still some cough-|
| ing. Pack,room coffee,suitcase out.Brk-|
| fst omelet, conversation.Still pouring,|
| no volcano :(. Settle bill, off in bus |
| past volcano (ha!), over dam, over     |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (23) |
| rotten roads north of long Lake        | ...and into blue skies
| Arenal w occasional town stops.        |
| Wind surfers on lake, windmill         |
| farms on devide - stopped at one.      |
| Down Pacific slope to Pan-American     |
| Hywy, lunch at river rafters.          |
| Drive NW, then NE on worse             |
| & worse roads in dry Guana-            |
| caste to Rincon de la Vieja Bue-       | *** Start Rincon de la Vieja
| na Vista Lodge. Cashew trees. View     |
| of Pacific 25 miles west. Strong       |
| winds. Saw Coati on road in mor-       | Racoonish critter
| ing. After unpack, walk in forest      |
| to mirador view for sunset into        | And sundowner
| Pacific. Din was pork, pineapple sauce,|
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (24) |
| cilantro/lime salsa salad, yuca, rice, |
| beans & plantains - good. Read, bed.   |
| THU 16 FEB | Up at 5:30, lots of sle-  |
| ep, cough almost gone. So-so brkfst,   |
| no meat, scr eggs, good coffee. To     |
| stables, met Dulcepino, "Sweet Pine-   |
| apple", instruction, mount up & off    |
| across streams up up & down down       |
| mountains, across rocks, roads, trails,|
| in streams - horse was doubtful        | Me too!
| at times. Saw monkey, iguana. Got      |
| to hot springs. Change, steam house,   |
| mud bath, shower, 107* pool, 75*       |
| pool. Swim & float. Towels, change,    | Ahhhhh...
| back on horse, back to lodge.          |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (25) |
| Internet, shopping. So-so lunch, id-   |
| entical to din but w chicken. Next     |
| hike up mountain to zip wire! 10 wires,|
| lots of safety gear, big adrenelin     |
| rush! High in canopy, some w "taxi",   | Some had guides holding them
| platforms, tied in? Brake halfway!     |
| Way cool! Peccary at bottom.           | Tamed piggy, wanted his belly
| Celebratory beer. Caiman watch-        |   rubbed
| ing. Then lecture on Guanacaste and    |
| sundowning at mirador. Again, same     |
| din. Bed w reading & bath by 9:00.     |
| FRI 17 FEB | Up at 5:45 for birding at |
| 6:00. High winds so into forest - saw  |
| Mot Mot, last night wild iguana.Brkfst,| Mot Mot is a bird
| then out for long drive south. Sto-    |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (26) |
| pped at Liberia, grocery store, got    |
| postcards. South, had cevice & fish    |
| for lunch - Dolores had purse stolen!  | Police not interested :(
| Drove to Tarcoles for nature cruise,   | *** Start Rio Tarcoles
| saw many crocs, maccaws(!), countless  |
| herons, mangroves. Late buffet din     |
| w good salad & ice cream. Read, bed.   |
| SAT 18 FEB | Up at 6:45, brkfst: big   |
| omelet, etc, one of the better         |
| brsk's. Two hour bus drive up          |
| to Puntoarenas, wait for motor         |
| catmaran. Sail across gulf. Free       |
| coffee & fruit, good views of beau-    |
| tiful gulf. Finally to our island.     |
| Orientation talk, swim w tide          |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (27) |
| out, appetizer of ceviche, beer        |
| great lunch of telapia in walnut       | Or macadamia nut?
| cream sauce, 93 yr old marimba         |
| player, another table sang op-         | He was great!
| era. Hike to Tortuga View. Laze        |
| in hammock. Beautiful refuge!          |
| Cat took long way back. Feed-          |
| ing pelicans w fish shoals. Great sun- |
| set. Dock, into bus, through town      |
| having yearly fest, drive in dark.     |
| Met Carlo's girlfriend Sylvia. Back    |
| to lodge. Shower, bought toucan, late  | Souvenir carving
| din of dry chicken & dry fish. Talk,   |
| read, bed.                             |
| SUN 19 FEB | Up at 6:30, pack. Omelet  |
|----------------------------------------|
|                                   (28) |
| & much coffee. Ride up up to Cent-     |
| ral Valley, w views of blue Pac-       |
| ific behind. Last present shopping:    |
| hot sauce, coffee, coins. Emerald &    |
| gold store. Indian store. San Jose     | *** San Jose reprise
| modern mall. Hotel & repack &          |
| tip chores. Drive up to ridge S.       |
| of city to charming restaurant in      |
| spectacular view of city & valley      |
| w twinkling lights. Din w scotch of    |
| good but lean steak. Toasts, songs,    |
| farewells. Drive back down ridge.      |
| Bed by 9:30 for 3:00 am rise. Bath.    |
| MON 20 FEB | Up, final pack, coffee,   |
| bun. Off to airport (before            |
| TACA opened!) Switched to AA Fl-       |
| ight direct to Miami. Inside seat :(   |
| No views except Key West. Miami        |
| Airport chaos, 4 hour layover, Oh      |
| Well. Final flight to Dulles,          |
| cab. Home by 7:30.                     |