[at-l] Questions for Former Thru Hikers

On 2/25/06, Carol Donaldson <carol1944@brmemc.net> wrote:

> 1- Did you use zip up jacket(s) or would zip-neck pullover have worked as
> well?

I think I had a zip up jacket, though I now have a zip-neck pullover that
would work just as well.

2- What was your most treasured piece of equipment during your hike and why?

My hiking poles. They helped me to hike with a spring in my step and a smile
on my face.

3- Fleece or fill for a jacket or pullover/zip neck?

I used fleece but retired it due to allergies and now use a Puffball.

4- How did you treat water?  Iodine, Aqua Mira, Filter (what brand)?  Would
you change for another Thru Hike?

I used iodine on my thru but have since switched to aqua mira for trails
where water is plentiful.

5- Did you take a vest as well as a jacket/pull-over?

Nope.

6- Did you use two sleeping bags?  One for spring and fall and one for
summer?  If so, when did you send back your spring/fall bag and when did you
get it mailed back to you?  Also, was it down or fill?  What did each bag
weigh?

I only had one, a 15* down bag with a waterproof-type coating thing. I don't
remember what it weighed, but it was considered very light at the time. I
should have had two and will forever regret not shelling out the $$$ for a
-15* or -20* bag when I was at NOC.

7- What is the least expensive item that you'd never be without (doesn't
have to be most treasured) on a Thru Hike?

Either hand sanitizer or a bandanna collection. Or duct tape. Or a
lighter/matches. Oh, I don't know!

8- What is the most expensive item of its type (not necessarily the $400
sleeping bag but perhaps the $800 sleeping bag; not the $100 wrist watch but
perhaps the $300 wrist watch; not the $250 tent but perhaps the $650 tent)
that you carried on your Thru Hike?

Nothing that I can think of. Most of my gear was middle-of-the-road--nothing
dirt-cheap that I found at Goodwill, but nothing top-of-the-line from the
outfitters either.

9- What items were usually in your Bounce Box?  How often did you Bounce and
how often did you send items home as 'no longer needed for an enjoyable
hike?'

Vitamins, shampoo, conditioner, and stamps were bounced ahead. I didn't send
a lot of items home often. I do remember sending a huge box home from
Millinocket--last-minute realizations of what I really, truly needed and
didn't need.

10- How many Zero Days did you have on your Thru Hike?  Would you have more
or less the next time?

About ten total, and most of those in the last 500 miles of the hike. I
hated zero days and would take fewer next time.

11- Did you blue blaze to the 'vista sights' along the Trail or did you just
'hike straight to Katahdin'?

I went to the vista sights as often as possible--one of my best days was the
"day off" I took to explore Gulf Hagas--but at the same time I hiked every
white blaze. No, I didn't hike straight to Katahdin, except for the first
day. :)

12- Did you ever waver in your decision to Thru Hike while hiking?  If so,
what did you do that kept you focused on Katahdin?  If not, do you have an
explanation as to why you never wavered?

I can honestly say that I never wavered, even when I was freezing to death
in the Smokies. My explanation is that I was really, really focused and
motivated.

13- Describe hiking through the Presidentials -- what is the terrain,
elevation gain, etc like and what are the Huts like?

Ah, the views. I'll never forget the views. They were identical from every
peak: white. Indeed, the White Mountains are aptly named. I've never hiked
in a big, white cloud for such a long time. I only stayed in one hut, and I
hated being around so many people, so we stealth-camped for the rest of the
way.

14- Describe Mahoosuc Notch and Mahoosuc Arm in terms that won't scare the
beegeebees out of those of us just planning to Thru Hike in the next couple
of years, but give us an honest evaluation of the conditions we'll be hiking
in when we get there.

I was a Louisiana native hiking southbound. All of Maine was a shock to my
delicate flatlander sensibilities. Mahoosuc Notch and Mahoosuc Arm were just
another day of my initiation to the AT. I said a number of curse words and
shed a few tears during the Mahoosucs. I think I might have enjoyed it more
if (1) I'd known what to expect, and (2) the rocks and roots weren't wet.

15- What were your thoughts as you topped Katahdin (if you can share
them)?  What did you think as you touched the sign and realized your Thru
Hike was over?

I thought, "Oh geez, can I sit down now?" And I was sooo happy because I
knew I had six months of hiking ahead of me.

16- Describe one way in which your Thru Hike changed you from the person you
were pre-hike.

I have a lot more confidence in myself. I'm more willing to take risks. Life
is MUCH better as a result! :)

--
Come visit me!  http://asortofnotebook.blogspot.com

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.