[at-l] Slackpacks, supported hikes, freedom hikes - whatever...

>From my last post:
"I guess it all boils down to what hiking represents in your little cosmos.
For me, it's very political, physical, spiritual, and psychological in ways
that would be compromised if I deviated from the standard
throw-the-pack-on-the-back-and-sleep-in-the-woods formula.  A little
slacking, a little yellow blazing--for me, that's a valid part of the
journey.  To have a paid employee holding your hand the whole way through
isn't."
You bet your boots I'll enjoy the day or two (or more) I get to hike without
that weight on my back!  For me (and I have to emphasize the "for me" aspect
so that everyone knows I'm voicing my opinion rather than asserting my
belief system on others!), the key to my idea of authentic hiking is largely
ideological rather than being rooted in a specific physical activity...does
that make sense?
And, yes, I've seen the "mob mentality" in full effect with the hiker
community...whoo-boy.  It's not nice but it's an unfortunate fact of life in
social circles everywhere.
That said, there are more wonderful humans in the hiker community than
anywhere else (but, again, that's just my opinion!)...
I hiked for a couple days in the 5 degree weather in upstate NY this
weekend.  I hiked fast, wore a fake moustache (a girl's gotta entertain
herself some how), and slept like a beast.  Great weekend!  Check out
the bizarre pictures if you get the chance:
http://redlibrarian.buzznet.com/user/
enjoy (with or without a pack on your back)...