[at-l] Butter on the trail (was Oatmeal...)

Butter is easy to bring on the trail unless it's so warm that it completely
melts.  Butter does not require refrigeration so it won't spoil.  If you
keep it in heat for a while, it will go rancid.  When that happens, it
affects taste and odor but still won't kill you.  On the trail, you're
unlikely to have butter long enough for that to happen anyway.

I carried butter on the AT both in the south and the north.  For the
mid-Atlantic, it was just too warm and would melt.  At that point, it was
deli-to-deli hiking anyway and I didn't miss the butter all that much.

I kept the butter in some sort of cheapo plastic container (Gladware maybe?)
that wouldn't leak if the butter did start to melt.

If you do carry butter, you'll probably find a lot more uses for it than
oatmeal.  It goes great in a lot of Lipton-like dinners, on bagels or other
breadstuffs, etc.

I don't like the flavor of margarine so even though butter isn't quite as
convenient as those squeeze margarine containers, I carried butter when I
could.  There was at least one place along the AT where I couldn't get
butter.  The Mom and Pop shop did carry margarine but not butter (too
expensive).

So, enjoy your oatmeal (or grits) with butter!

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor