[at-l] Friends in the News, or "Who IS this Miss Janet???

"Go ahead Weary, give us that URL again, for old times sake."

Just happen to have it right here at the tip of my fingers.

http://www.matlt.org

Out latest project is the "high peaks area" -- the cluster of 4,000-footers between old Speck and the multiple peaks of Bigelow. A 4,000 foot mountain doesn't sound like much to you Smokies fans, but most trailheads begin around 1,500 feet or lower in Maine. A 2,500 foot elevation gain from the nearest road equals or exceeds that of many famous peaks my wife and I passed in our visits to the western parks last summer and fall. We add to the excitement by forgoing all semblances of switchbacks.

We are planning a three day "Maine Mountain Conference" for next fall to focus interest in the area. The probable dates are Oct. 27-29. Likely location: Saddleback Ski Area (under a new and much trail friendlier ownership) You folks within traveling distance of the north should save the date.

This will be a followup to a 1972 conference that I helped organize that brought together scientists and hikers to discuss the fragile nature of Maine mountain summits. Out of it grew most of the regulations that now control development above 2,700 feet in Maine. With the new rush to residential development and wind energy it seemed wise to have an update.

Weary