[at-l] Grizzly Tim Treadwell - Discovery

> Hey, the bottom line is this:  Treadwell knew the risks, and chose to
take
> them.  It's his life, or lack thereof.

I wasn't going to comment on this topic, but I'm pretty keen on bears, and I
followed Treadwell's work.  I think that he did a service for our cause, but
I also think the man was kind of a fruitcake.  Being a fruitcake myself, in
my own way, that isn't nececarily a bad thing.

My friend Scott wrote something that pretty much sums up my take on it.  I
have included it below.

Shane

***

This was on tonight and is on right now and repeating for awhile I think.
I mentioned it on another list earlier this week and was surprised at the
varying responses. I waited til I had seen the film to voice my own opinion.

This is what I have to say:
 As a film I thought it was pretty poor and often times rather pathetic.

Lots of bits and pieces in there that had me rolling my eyes.

On the content. It is a sad tale, but tidwell was a bit off. He lost the
purpose and focused on something else.  His intent was good but it wasn't
selfless. He obviously tried to portray himself in a certain way.

Personally, I think his interaction was inappropriate.  I am not saying that
because he wanted to live with grizzlies, but because of how he did it.
If you want to return to your natural environment, you should do so to the
fullest extent possible.  Other creatures are not your pets. They are
creatures just like yourself and deserve respect. The foxes in the movie
didn't try and get close to the bears. They merely lived with them in their
own way.  His understanding of the often brutal nature of wilderness was
inadequate for what he often saw. Death is an integral part of the way of
all things.

He actually got pissed when a young fox took his hat into a den.  That alone
shows his lack of full intent on crossing the line. You either cross it or
you don't. Become wild with them or simply observe from afar.