[at-l] How early to Start ?

There could be another problem starting that early.  The Green Mountain Club
strongly advocates that hikers avoid mud season on the Long Trail.
Depending on how fast you get up to Vermont, you might hit the Long Trail
just in time to encourage erosion while hiking.  You may want to leave a bit
later if only to allow the trails to dry up a bit more and be less prone to
damage that foot traffic causes on muddy trails.

You can read about the GMC's take on mud season at:

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60

If you don't anticipate getting to Vermont until June, your plans might just
be OK.

Hmm, if you get to Vermont in June, you'll be dealing with black fly season.
  Bring plenty of DEET.  Want to avoid black fly season, get to Vermont in
mid-July.  It's a perfect time to hike.

Mara
Stitches, AT99
(and LT96-02)