[at-l] History of the Internet

Oh yeah...the "Stone Age" of information technology; teletypes, paper tape, etc.

When we got our first (monochromatic, of course) CRT, it was a BIG deal!

-"Camo"

From: Sloetoe <sloetoe@yahoo.com>

From: blackwolfe at bellsouth.net (Black Wolfe)
Date: Fri Feb 10 12:14:44 2006
Subject: [at-l] A Knotty Bunch of Questions

> Skylander asks,

> How much rope or line should one bring in the  backpack?
To pitch a large tarp?  25 to 35 feet is usually more than enough for a
ridge line.  A few shorter pieces for tie-outs, and I'm usually good to go.

> Another:  What size line is best used on the trail?
1/8 inch is hard on my hands, (although that's what I usually use.) 1/4 inch
is overkill for tarp pitching and bear bagging.  I have found 3/16 to be a
nice comprimise, overkill for most needs, yet easy on the hands.  That said
it is usually 1/8 inch stuff in my pack.

However, IF my precious life is hanging on that line, It is a climbing,
rescue or arborist rated line in use.  Usually 1/2 inch, but I might go as
small as 9 mm depending on the application.

Black Wolfe