Fwd: Re: [at-l] History of the Internet

Ladies and Gentlemen and others as the case may be,  ;-)
The idea and impetus came from DARPA and ARPANET. Al of this was done
to foster research among the various entities doing research (govt,
education).  A link to this history is:
http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/docs/arpa--1.html

I should add that the University System of Georgia had a statewide
network in place in the late 80's linking all the junior colleges to
provide them various levels of central processing capability. Of
course this was house and operated by the University of Georgia, the
flagship  institution of the south.  Also known for a certain amount
of athletic prowess in both men's and women's sports!