[at-l] History of the Internet

All I can say is that a very scholarly world wide history of the internet that someone referenced here, only one politician was mentioned:

"In 1988, a National Research Council committee, chaired by Kleinrock and with Kahn and Clark as members, produced a report commissioned by NSF titled "Towards a National Research Network". This report was influential on then Senator Al Gore, and ushered in high speed networks that laid the networking foundation for the future information superhighway."

The campaign flap over Gore's words were part of the successful campaign to trivialize Gore's campaign for President.

A prior post by me and one more recently by Kelley explain in more detail the truth of Gore's role in the creation of the modern Internet

However, the haters will never be convinced, though it is obvious that Gore played a critical role at a critical time, as did other politicians, most notably Newt Gingrich and the first President Bush.

Many people like to believe the myth that the internet grew out of the efforts of dedicated computer scientists unfettered by government intervention. But the truth is the taxpayer supported National Science Foundation paid most of the bills, then and now.

The modern Internet would not have happened without the leadership of people like Gore, just as the modern Appalachian Trail would not exist had it not been for President Johnson and a few Congressional leaders.

Weary