[at-l] History of the Internet

--- Bob C <ellen@clinic.net> wrote:

>This
> report was influential on then Senator Al Gore, and
> ushered in high speed networks that laid the
> networking foundation for the future information
> superhighway."

Appropriating money is like saying that politicians
built the Brooklyn Bridge.

By 1986, the main infrastructure was in place. Much of
the technology we associate with the Internet (trunk
lines, protocols, e-mail, Usenet, even T1 [high speed]
lines) and what most people think of the "Modern
internet" was done by 1991..IN SWITZERLAND.

So, if you want to think some politicians came up with
this thing we are typing on? Go for it!

> This suggests to me that Gore may have in fact
> played some sort of a role in creating the modern
> Internet and in persuading Congress to pass the
> funds needed.

CERN, 1991. Switzerland. Scientist.

> However, don't take this as gospel. I'm in a
> learning phase at the moment. I did read recently
> that this country has some sort of control over the
> Internet and that Europe wanted a piece of the
> action, whatever that means.

Go to iana.org.

No more to say for me. I'll just start repeating
myself.

all the best

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com