[at-l] why...

hmm.  maybe, but after-dinner coffee is still served in a cup and saucer
in restaurants.  As another thought, I remember that my grandparents
would drink coffee in a cup and saucer and pour the coffee in the saucer
to cool it.  (Probably dating myself :) ).  Mugs, styrofoam cups and
travel cups are a fairly recent 'invention'.