[at-l] Trail curry...

the spices are among the smallest, lightest thing you'll ever carry, but
they give a grand bang for the gram (or ounce) at supper time . . . the
smaller lentils ("dal" at an indian store) cook up as quick as rice . . .
you can carry dehydrated onions and garlic or if you're a week-end hiker
like me carry fresh . . . saute with olive oil and spices, add lentils and
water and cook it for 15 or 20 minutes stirring occasionally, remove and
set near the fire to keep it warm and let it set for a few minutes (the
same way you cook rice, except I remove the rice from the flame after 10
or 15!)  I like to mix the fresh ingredients for a lamb curry and stow
them in ziplock back and freeze it . . . it'll keep a day or two on the
trail . . . I get my spices at a local indian store, pre-mixed for
different sorts of curries . . .